Remember when you were little and your mom told you not to run with scissors because you’d poke your eye out? It was actually good advice. Eat your carrots is another oldie but a goodie. Turns out moms know a thing or two about taking care of those precious eyes.
Here are five eye care tips to help keep your vision in tip-top shape:
- Eat your fruits and vegetables, especially those containing Lutein and Zeaxanthin, which are two types of potent antioxidants. This has shown a benefit for macular degeneration. Benefits were seen with the use of a combination vitamin A as beta-carotene, vitamins C and E, and the minerals zinc and copper.
- If you can’t eat well, take supplements. While fresh food is always best, ask your doctor about special supplements for eye health.
- Don’t smoke. Smoking causes lots of health problems and can mess with your vision too. Smoking increases your chances of getting cataracts and macular degeneration.
- Wear sunglasses. This is a no-brainer, even on cloudy days. The harmful rays of the sun can not only hurt your skin but can damage your eyes as well.
- Don’t look too long at computer screens. Take breaks, look away, or go for a walk.