TITLE: Dispensing Optician
REPORTS TO: Optical Manager
Dispensing Opticians sell eyeglasses and contacts according to written optical prescriptions. Opticians recommend appropriate lens materials and designs based on patient needs and preferences. They advise patients on proper frame design, fit, and performance.
MAIN JOB DUTIES:
• Provides patient education regarding lens materials, products, and designs.
• Performs prescription analysis such as interpreting and transposing.
• Provides recommendations to patients regarding proper eyeglass frame selection.
• Designs complete eyewear product by incorporating frame design elements, lens materials, and optics with patient’s prescription and lifestyle requirements.
• Performs eyeglass frame adjustments and repairs. Includes proper alignment of frame, comfortable fit, functional vision, and instructions on proper wear and care of eyeglasses.
• Performs accurate measurements of lens power, pupillary distance, multifocal segment height, lens base curve, vertex distance, and prism power.
• Orders custom lens products from wholesale optical laboratories, monitors process, post charges, and bill insurance when needed.
• Orders contact lenses for patients.
• Verifies lens prescriptions of ordered lenses and check for accuracy.
• Assists in wholesale purchasing of frames and other products for resale to patients.• Assists in the return of authorized merchandise to manufacturers and prepare credit forms.
• Designs, arrange and maintain product displays.
• Organizes and maintains frame display area throughout the workday.
• Monitors product inventory levels.
• Maintains the inventory of office supplies and other materials necessary to properly run the department.
• Maintains instruments and hand tools used in the office.
• Maintains job knowledge by attending after-work training.
• Promotes products and services of other elective programs within MEC.
• Performs other tasks and duties as assigned.
• High School diploma or equivalent required. Certification by the American Board of Opticianry preferred.
• 1-2 years of retail optician experience required.
• Strong organizational skills.
• Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to communicate clearly and effectively with patients, staff, managers, and doctors.
• Understanding of the anatomy of the eye as well as normal, abnormal vision and perception.
• Knowledge of the laws and standards governing the ophthalmic field.
• Working knowledge of proper sales techniques.
• Basic computer literacy required.
• Seeks out and accepts feedback about job performance.
• Emotional stability, ability to deal with personal, professional, and organizational change and growth.
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions:
• Excellent visual acuity for close and detail work.
• Able to sit, stand and be flexible in movement.
• Physically able to work with telephones and computers.
• Excellent hand-eye coordination, motor coordination, and ability to do precise work.
• Professional manner in a work setting.
• Neat, well-groomed, follows dress code.